Thursday, April 5, 2012

What's BR Drinking Now?

On a trip to Brewster, N.Y. for a Dieu du Ciel event at DeCiccos gourmet grocery store (which has a fantastic beer selection and an awesome bar inside the store), I discovered a Bavarian beer that I hadn't seen before -- Veldensteiner Zwick'l Bier by Kaiser Bräu. A Zwick'l, or Zwickel, is an unfiltered Kellerbier. As described on their website it's a 5.4% abv "amber, unfiltered, unpasteurized, naturally cloudy, light, sweet, wholesome lager Kellerbier". The label on the bottle also listed "12.3% Stammwürze", which is "original wort" or original gravity.
Kaiser Bräu lists 11 different beers that they produce including:
Pils, Rauch, Märzen, Munich Helles, Hefeweizen, Berlinerweiss and, very uncommon for a German brewery, an English Porter. It's located in northern Bavaria, near Neuhaus, south of Bamberg. The "Veldensteiner" in the name refers the Veldensteiner Forest, which is in their area. DeCiccos didn't have all of these styles but I did also pick up their Landbier.

Smart idea having a bar inside a grocery store; I could see myself doing lots of impulse shopping after a few pints. Luckily, I had the specter of public transportation looming over me so I had to restrain myself.
Chad "Olli" von Schwaneberger
How does it taste? Find out in this week's brief podcast.
You can stream the podcast, rather than download it, at the Beer Hear! podcast site.

No comments:

Post a Comment